Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forward Gears

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

Well, I probably wouldn't do it quite that way. I'ld do a quick spread
sheet. Cell 1 would have the tooth count. Cell 2 would have the formula
360/T with T being the number of teeth. Every cell after would have the
formula ((360/T)+PC) with PC being the value in the previous cell.
Instead
of trying to keep track of the number of turns etc, I would just advance
the
table rotary table to the value given in the numeric table generated by
the
spreadsheet and tighten the lock screw. Obviously I would only turn the
table in one direction so as to account for backlash in the screw. I
could do it on paper almost as easily. It would just take a little
longer.

Sounds like a case of ingenuity overcoming adversity. Go for it.

Or you could put a servo or stepper motor on it. Then you got a CNC
4rth axis. I set mine up that way.

Karl

When I mounted the chuck on the table it was my intention to convert it to
CNC eventually. Both of my little machine controllers have an unused 4th
port. Its would just be a matter of making a mount and adding a motor. The
problem I see is that the drive screw for this rotary table has too much
back lash in it. I have not looked yet to see if there is anything I can do
about it, but I was thinking it might be easier to just make a spindle for a
4th axis. I was thinking I would like something with a much bigger bore
than the average lathe spindle or rotary table. If I keep it under 3000 RPM
there are some pretty big bore bearings out there.