Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Forward Gears

Well, I probably wouldn't do it quite that way. I'ld do a quick spread
sheet. Cell 1 would have the tooth count. Cell 2 would have the formula
360/T with T being the number of teeth. Every cell after would have the
formula ((360/T)+PC) with PC being the value in the previous cell. Instead
of trying to keep track of the number of turns etc, I would just advance the
table rotary table to the value given in the numeric table generated by the
spreadsheet and tighten the lock screw. Obviously I would only turn the
table in one direction so as to account for backlash in the screw. I
could do it on paper almost as easily. It would just take a little longer.

Sounds like a case of ingenuity overcoming adversity. Go for it.

Or you could put a servo or stepper motor on it. Then you got a CNC
4rth axis. I set mine up that way.

Karl