Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default Heater INSIDE thermostat?

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 19:41:06 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 17:42:30 -0000, John Williamson
wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 16:55:27 -0000, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

A resistor in the room thermostat housing

But it's wildly inaccurate. And there seems to be no adjustment for
them.

It's a very cheap way to improve the responsiveness of the system. I
once disconnected one, and found out that re-connecting it it made a
noticeable improvement to my comfort in the room with no noticeable
increase in heating costs.

It was a single small room with a blown air calor gas powered heating
system, but the same principle applies to a central heating system as
used in my house.

I think the resistor in this one is making too much heat. It never
switches the heating on for very long, and I don't think it's good for
a central heating system to be cycled on and off repeatedly. I much
prefer it to come on for an hour at a time.

What's the duty cycle? Mine is about 50% at 5C outside temperature,
approaching 100% at -5C.

Similar to that. It's actually my garage - the house already has a digital one as the bi-metal ones can't handle the inductive load of the motorized valve - they arc.

If my central heating stays on for an hour, the house gains quite a few
degrees in temperature, as it's fairly well insulated. This excess heat
then has to be lost before the heating will come on again. If I set it
to be comfortable when the heating turns off, then I'm too cool before
the heating turns on again, and vice versa. I don't think it makes much
difference to the reliability or system life if it runs on a ten minute
cycle rather than a 60 minute one, though I could be wrong. It certainly
makes a difference to my comfort, which is why I have central heating to
start with, otherwise I'd use gas heaters in each room.

With the digital stat, my house goes up and down by 1C.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

gods don't smite people anymore because people of many different religions now living in the same town.
No god wants to accidentally smite the wrong person and get sued by another god.
-- David James