Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage Door Tension Springs

On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 01:04:18 -0700, Tony Hwang

On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 21:14:22 -0700, Tony

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 22:09:51 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've never adjusted these. But, from what I've heard, they are very
dangerous. Not something to do your self. They contain a LOT of energy, and
can do tragic things and cause injuries.

That's my take on the matter, for what you paid for it.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
Are they really that difficult to adjust?

16 ft door, spring on left "looks" fine, you know with a curvy
appearance like it has proper tension. The spring on right side is
straight, I can tell it has slipped back some because it used to look
just like the one on the left and the door opener has just started
having trouble lifting the door. If I help it (only needs very little
assistance) when the button is pushed it goes right up. I unhooked it
and tried manually and it's really hard to lift. So I loosened the set
screws and I can not turn it any more than it already is. I probably
need longer tools for more leverage, but seems that I should be able
to get at least a half turn or so out of it.

Am I just a wimp?-----that's rhetorical ;-P

I've done a lot of them, and if you use common sense they are not
terribly dangerous. I know, common sense isn't very common any more -
but you need a good set of 2 bars that fit the holes in the winder
properly - snuggly enough not to slip, but not so tight that you have
troublre geting them in or out - and a wrench to fit the set screw -
within easy reach.
Worst case scenario the slack spring is broken and you need to
dissassemble the whole mechanism. I've done that too - but for the
average DIY guy that's the time to call in the pros.
Hi,
If spring is broken it can be joined together with a small U bolt clamp
and rewind it until replacement is ready. Once in a while I wipe the
springs with oil soaked rag to prevent premature failure due to dry
rubbing between coils which causes metal fatigue.

Talking about dangerous - - -
I would STRONGLY caution EVERYBODY to ignore this advice. Attempting
to clamp the spring will cause dangerous stresses, making the whole
process (and door) much more dangerous. As for the oil - it just makes
things dirtier and more difficult to work on - with virtually no
advantage when it comes to the lifespan of the spring.

PERHAPS using a pair of clamps and overlaping more than half a coil
- so the clamps are 180 degrees apart MIGHT work - but the saddles of
the clamps WILL interfere with the spring which would STILL make the
situation un-necessarily dangerous.

That is what you think. I did that once until ordered spring ariivedm
nothing happened. I installed oper, replaced spring, replace broken
string, etc. on our garage door, nothing hapened to me or to the door.
I am 100% safety concious person. I should take a picture of springs
here and show if it collects dirt?, No it does not.

You did it and got away with it. It is NOT recommended - and NOT
safe. I have worked on, adjusted, and replaced springs on at least a
dozen different overhead doors with torsion springs.

And oiling ANYTHING makes it attract dirt. That is a GIVEN.