Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stanley Schaefer Stanley Schaefer is offline

Default NorCal vibraplow

On Mar 2, 8:19*pm, David Lesher wrote:
I've been on a snipe hunt for a vibraplow
http://ditchwitch.com/trenchers-plows/walk-behind-vibratory-plow/100s...
in the Santa Cruz region. I've yet to find a tool rental outfit
that even knows what I'm talking about... Yet on the East Coast,
they are common...

Any suggestions welcomed.

--

They're probably not familiar with them since anyone needing that
capability just goes down to where the "day labor" guys stand around

I've not seen a single-hand cable plow, the ones I've seen were
attached to a Ditchwitch and were used for planting 900 pair cable on
up below the frost line in IA. The cable reel usually was taller than
the Ditchwitch. We went around afterwards to dig pits for the splicing
crews with a backhoe, the other outfit went on elsewhere with the
Ditchwitch. When I was in No. Ca., most of the utilities were dragged
through transites at the curbside, not sure how they were run to
individual houses from the curb cabinets. The big apartment buildings
had PVC conduits run, though. And in that part of the Bay Area where
I was, you'd never get a cable plow to work, the adobe is too hard.
No really loose dirt to be found much above the tide line. Just the
inch or so of sod is all at the housing developments. And swamp fill,
of course.

Stan