Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Proper light bulbs returning?

In article ,
harry writes:
On Mar 3, 9:00*pm, wrote:
On Mar 3, 8:46*pm, NT wrote:

On Mar 3, 8:41*pm, H. Neary wrote:

I see a few places are stocking 100W incandescent bulbs again.

Instant on, and a hell of a lot cheaper now the subsidies have
rendered the so called more efficient lamps so expensive.

HN

The TCO of CFLs works out cheaper

Only if they live up to their promised lifetime which IME they don't
get anywhere near, especially the very expensive high power ones you
need to replace a 100W incandescent.

Chris

I still have some of the"jamjar" CFLs made by Philps. They must be
around 12 years old.

I had one of the SL18 pre-release samples they distributed in 1980,
and required a feedback form (which I submitted). Unfortunately, I
left it in digs when I moved out in 1984. I tried to retrieve it a
year later, but the occupier told me it had died and been chucked out.

I still have an SL25 and SL9 in the cupboard, but the ratings other
than SL18 (18W) appeared significantly later than the original SL18.

Thorn Lighting released the 2D lamp and BC ballast at the same time,
the advantage being that you didn't have to throw out the ballast
when the tube died. The SL18 became popular in the home, whereas the
2D became more popular in commercial installations, as companies
started designing luminares specifically for it (the original retrofit
BC ballast version never got very popular). Commercial use of compact
fluorescent was way ahead of domestic use in the early days,
so Thorn's 2D was initially more successful than Philips SL18.

--
Andrew Gabriel