Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Proper light bulbs returning?

On Mar 4, 3:13*am, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts
Only if they live up to their promised lifetime which IME they don't
get anywhere near, especially the very expensive high power ones you
need to replace a 100W incandescent.

And if a CFL fails early in its life my experience is that one really
resents having to pay so much to replace it.

I don't think that's very accurate, for 3 reasons.

1. CFLs do have early failures, and of course this is made up for by
the ones that last longer than rated life. Ie there isnt really a
problem.

2. A cfl need only function for a short time to pay off its additional
purchase cost.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...ng_Calculation

3. I dont see any reason to resent the fact that some fail early, some
last longer than rated. Its how all types of bulb work.

NT