Posted to alt.home.repair
SG SG is offline

Default Garage Door Tension Springs

Are they really that difficult to adjust?

16 ft door, spring on left "looks" fine, you know with a curvy
appearance like it has proper tension. The spring on right side is
straight, I can tell it has slipped back some because it used to look
just like the one on the left and the door opener has just started
having trouble lifting the door. If I help it (only needs very little
assistance) when the button is pushed it goes right up. I unhooked it
and tried manually and it's really hard to lift. So I loosened the set
screws and I can not turn it any more than it already is. I probably
need longer tools for more leverage, but seems that I should be able
to get at least a half turn or so out of it.

Am I just a wimp? -----that's rhetorical ;-P