Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Stone[_4_] Steve Stone[_4_] is offline

Default Advice for maintaining septic systems

On 3/3/2012 3:06 PM, Dwight wrote:
I have two rental mobile home with septic tanks and drainfields that are
30 years old, and that I have had pumped pretty regularly.

I think if you pump it out on a regular basis and don't allow stuff that
doesn't break down easily to get flushed down the drain you are doing
the best you can.

I have heard of drain field failures due to soil that can no longer
absorb after 20 - 30 years of use. I've seen metal tank tops fail. I've
heard of poor quality concrete tanks failing after 20 - 30 years. Some
areas now allow "plastic" tanks.

I have neighbors that have never pumped their septic system out in 20
years.
They should have sticker shock when that puppy implodes.