Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Proper light bulbs returning?

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 22:12:43 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
H. Neary writes:
I see a few places are stocking 100W incandescent bulbs again.

I thought they had been banned under EU regs.

Personally I welcome them. They are brighter than their "equivalents".
Instant on, and a hell of a lot cheaper now the subsidies have
rendered the so called more efficient lamps so expensive.

I don't know if it's been fixed, but the UK Act which brought this
EU directive into UK law was rushed, hence faulty, and unenforcible.

Secondly, lots of companies stockpiled 100W (and most other)
filament lamps in the UK, thinking there would be a large demand,
but actually there isn't, so there's years worth stockpiled.
The law (even if it had worked) only outlawed manufacture and
import, not selling what's already here.

The issue of "equivalents" seems to be being corrected - I notice
that 18W CFL's are no longer incorrectly quoted as 100W equivalent.
The best real 100W equivalents I've found are the Feit 23W ones
sold by Costco, but they've run out of stock until April. They
have 60W equivalents too. The trouble is that many retail stores
don't sell anything more than 18W CFLs, so they don't have anything
which is genuinely equivalent to 100W lamps.

Andrew, what are the "rules" about longevity claims for light bulbs?

It appears to me that if it's quoted in hours, it means continuous use
but if it's quoted in years it's some unspecified daily use.
I have even seen both figures on the same lamp without any explanation
why mathematically they didn't correlate.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%