Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Pyrex bowls wedged together

Do you have access to a decompression chamber, maybe you could make the air
trapped between them push them apart by reducing the pressure on the
outside?

Brian

Email:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 03/03/2012 09:22, robgraham wrote:
I know it's not strictly DIY, but I'm tasked with getting them apart !

Two bowls on the same diameter and are well wedged together slightly
at an angle. I wonder if they been taken out of the dishwasher hot by
one of the members of the family and have effectively 'shrunk'
together, but they certainly won't come apart.

Any ideas - I've tried hot water and then the deep freeze without
success - maybe significant oven heat ?

You want to apply the thermal shock in the opposite direction. Get them as
cold as possible and then submerge the outer one into near boiling water
and pray that as it warms up it will free itself.

The bad news is that Pyrex hardly expands at all which is why it is
preferred for telescope mirrors etc. I suspect the things were
mechanically jammed together and may be less keen about coming apart.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown