Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default in wall timer wiring

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 18:15:29 -0500, RBM wrote:

Well, from my experience with Intermatic electronic timers, most
failures occur right at the time of installation, at such a high rate
that I always carried two on my truck. If you're in an area subject to
voltage spikes from lightning, they're toast.

What about a whole house surge-suprpressor. I bought a moderately
priced one but havent' had time to install it yet.

Other than spikes and
DOA's , I've seen them last for many years and work just fine. One
caveat, they don't work well on 3 way systems where the switches are
pretty far apart, like front door and garage. These days, unless the
customer specifically requests and electronic in wall time switch, I use
the Tork in wall mechanical timer. They have to be installed in a single
gang switch box, by themselves, and they require a neutral, but they are
indestructible.