Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22470 Ignoramus22470 is offline

Default NEW RESULTS was Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On 2012-03-02, Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable) wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:05:17 -0600, Ignoramus22470

On 2012-03-02, dpb wrote:
On 3/2/2012 11:20 AM, Ignoramus22470 wrote:
A followup. Very embarrassing and very typical.

What was wrong was that I mixed up the supply and return lines, so the
fuel pump was pumping into the return line.

The truck now runs great and I have a foot in my mouth.

So just out of curiosity what was the original fundamental problem
(presuming you didn't receive the truck w/ the lines reversed)?

I'm at least somewhat surprised could do that--on the GM trucks I have
here the lines aren't interchangeable--the feed line is larger than
return, typically.

--

The original problem was bad fuel pump in the tank.

I got the tank separated from the truck and hooked it up wrong. The
lines, unfortunately, were interchangeable.

Oops. There is something to be said for keeping a roll of tape and a
Sharpie handy, and tagging things as they come apart so you can make
sure they go back together the same way.

I received them apart, I never had them assembled correctly.

The tank was on the shelves and the truck was in the yard.

And/or take a few pictures before you start, and a few more as you go,
of how it went together. (Sometimes you have to make an un-planned
stop for a day or two, and totally forget.)

And/or grab a paint marker and permanently mark "Vent" and "Supply"
and "Return" on the steel lines once you figure out which is which -
then you can check that against the markings on the pump when it's
going back together.

I still do silly things that, even when it's a job I've done hundreds
of times. 99% of the time it goes back together easy, but there's
always the one time in a hundred it doesn't...

Oh, and as you put it back together you put the date on those hoses
and clamps and on the fuel pump itself a White Paint Marker is perfect
for that. You just replaced the hoses in 2012, no sense in forgetting
when you did them last and trying to change them again till at least
2020. Some of those high-pressure fuel hoses are $10 plus a foot.

Date and Mileage on the Oil Filter canister too.

-- Bruce --