Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Vox AD120VT

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Where's a hagiogolotre when you need one.
Do you really need to take the pa apart just to test the valves. Is

there
Jim Crow for this job, to avoid dismantling? plastic screwdriver to

wedge
between valve and base ? long handled plastic pipe wrench to grab the
envelope, or some sort of suction cup to pull them out ?

No, just undo the 20 or so screws needed to remove the amplifier chassis

and
reverb tank from the cabinet and plonk the whole lot on the bench.

Done it quite a few times now, probably takes me 3 minutes max.
Certainly a lot less time than faffing around wedging screwdrivers and

bits
of piping and then spending half an hour trying to get the valves back in
their sockets blind.

Time you bit the bullet, I reckon, and got out that powered screwdriver.

As for the melted IEC inlet, no doubt it was too close to the fire.

Cheers,

Gareth.

I had to take the other board apart anyway to replace a pot, but wondered
about more routine checking of valves. Replacement is not blind as there is
an access gap and maybe finger tips, in there , to guide into place.
With a radiant fire I expected some sort of discolouration of the Rexine,
presumably nearer to heat source. Low heat of my heat gun says 320 degree C,
whether higher or lower from numerous heater element joinings over the years
, with NiCad stainless steel "crimps", anyone's guess.