Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:31:40 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Well put, Mike.

Thanks clare. I really do try to steer a bit wide and clear of most of this
stuff, because it's core belief stuff and it never seems to work well in
newsgroup interactions. That said - I dipped my foot into this pond, and
I'm at least happy to hear that I did something right - for a change.
(humor).

These are important conversations and I believe them to be worth the
interchange, but they are emotionally charged - regardless of which side
they originate from. Just too bad that they have to always be so devisive.
They just always seem to go there...

Sadly America, in particular, is VERY polarized on political/religious
lines - and the "radical conservative right" - AKA the Fundamental
Christian Right so poorly represents true Christianity - much as Al
Quaida poorly represents "true" Islam, and the poligamist "nutcase"
Mormans poorly represent their faith as well.
The same can be said of Israeli politicians and Jadaism.

However, the divisiveness of politics and religion in the USA is due
to a poor understanding of the concept of the "separation of church
and state" which goes back, historically, to Martin Luther. Zwingly,
and a plethora of other "reformers" as far back as the early 1500s.

Those who fail to learn from (the mistakes of) history are condemned
to repeat them. From my historic background I can only hope the
excesses of the 1500s and the protestant reformation in general - and
the anabaptist movement in particular, are not repeated in America.

Respect is they key. And respect in America has been largely lost - on
both sides.