Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reducing power of halogen lamps

You ever cook hot dogs with the plug, cord, and two nails?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:07:23 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"

The concept of dangerous electrical circuits brings back all kinds of
nostalgic memories.

When I worked for a film company (a 1000 years ago) there were two
favorite ways of boiling water for coffee on location:

1) A large wattage resistor connected directly to mains used as an
immersion heater. Note: The mains were 220V.

2) A cup with two plates on top of each other but not touching, each
connected to mains. Pour water directly into the cup, plug in. This
arrangement boiled water literally in 3 seconds.

Yet the only mortality I remember was work-related: A broken cable
under water.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC