Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Reducing power of halogen lamps

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:07:23 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

[...]

I don't have a photo of mine, I took it apart because it is so
dangerous.

The concept of dangerous electrical circuits brings back all kinds of
nostalgic memories.

When I worked for a film company (a 1000 years ago) there were two
favorite ways of boiling water for coffee on location:

1) A large wattage resistor connected directly to mains used as an
immersion heater. Note: The mains were 220V.

2) A cup with two plates on top of each other but not touching, each
connected to mains. Pour water directly into the cup, plug in. This
arrangement boiled water literally in 3 seconds.

Yet the only mortality I remember was work-related: A broken cable
under water.

One of our high school projects was a wiener
cooker comprised of a plastic shoebox, a
micro-switch and rows of nails to impale the
ends of the unfortunate wieners.
Plug it in and wait for the hot dogs to
cook.

Worked great.

--Winston-- I don't figure they'd do that today.