Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning up an old table saw

Dave wrote:

But, that's exactly what religion is. Religion is a concept created by
man that lets him deal with the inexplicable. One might also say that
religion is a code of conduct created by man that's not much different
than the laws enacted by any government.

Well... that cannot be stated with such confidence Dave. It may indeed make
sense to you, that man created religion to deal with the inexplicable, but
that's as impossible to prove as the existence of God. FTR - Michael Joel
has not argued any points of religion. He has argued points of his faith,
but that's a different thing.

However you might want to describe it, men created religion as a means
to dictate the actions of others of their species.

That's why it is important to distinguish between religion and faith.

In our society
anyway, choice of which religion to follow is entirely optional. That
is why I tend to react unfavorably when people try to publicly inject
religion into my presence. I take it as someone trying to control me
when they have no right to do so.

Your choice. But in fairness, those who outspokenly express their
disbelief, or refer to another's faith with inflamatory phrases that include
the word "myth" should invoke the same ire within you - right? Does your
philosophy allow for a fellow like Michael Joel to even state what his
beliefs are - even if that is not in an effort to evangelize? Surely you
would not want to control him by placing a prohibition on him for that...

--

-Mike-