Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default NEW RESULTS was Chevy Kodiak dumptruck gasoline problems

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 21:14:57 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus14054 wrote:

1) Lack of fuel pressure

Possibly the wrong fuel pump. I would expect this TBI needs
something close to 50 PSI at the minimum.
2) Lack of voltage supplied to the TBI.

Maybe not. The computer probably sends short pulse-width
modulated pulses of 12 V to the injectors. If the starter
isn't too noisy, you should be able to hear it clicking
when you crank. You can definitely hear the injectors on
most injection systems (but maybe not with the starter
running).
I have a feeling that both items are a manifestation of the same
problem, which is lack of voltage in the fuel subsystem. I think that
both the fuel pump is not getting enough volts (so not enough fuel
pressure), and also, the injectors are not getting enough volts (so
they do not open properly).

Maybe, should be relatively easy to check. Yes, could be a bad
ground. The fuel pump is probably not controlled by much electronics.
There may be a fuel pump cutoff relay, but that usually is on
cars with airbags. But, I'd measure the fuel pump pressure.
Somewhere there ought to be a spec on fuel pump pressure. A
quick test just with a gauge connected to the pump would tell you
whether you are getting 10 PSI (carb pump) or 50 PSI (FI pump).

The injectors may be working perfectly, but with no fuel pressure,
the computer is applying short pulses that SHOULD be right at
the higher pressure.

Also, since the pressure regulator made a difference, it may show
that the regulator has a ripped diphragm, crud under the seat or
some other malfunction. Actually, a typical regulator would
set lower pressure without the spring. But, this one might not
be typical.

Jon

It will be a very typical regulator - and no spring WILL make no
pressure. I've rebuilt and modified those regulators to make them
adjustable - friend's 350 TBI engine was running lean due to a
combination of lower than spec pressure and a modified Throttle Body.
The regulators are, as I said before, notorious for being in-accurate.
General spec is between 9 and 13 psi. This one was running at about 8
and dribbled. We set it to 15 and got a real good atomized spray
pattern, the fuel consumption dropped, power improved, and the truck
didn't run hot any more.

If he followed my instructions in my last post he'll KNOW where the
problem is NOT, even if it doesn't pin down exactly what the problem
is.

I've worked on this stuff a lot over the years - back when that thing
was current, but not so much today.