Posted to alt.home.repair
paulaner paulaner is offline

Default Is this a reasonable fee for a concrete slab?

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:52:40 -0500, Jay Hanig
wrote:

I need to have a concrete slab poured to provide a place to anchor a 330
gallon propane tank so it won't float away in the next flood. I live on
a barrier island (Topsail Beach, NC) and we sometimes get flooding
associated with hurricanes... not from storm surge but rather from lots
and lots of rain.

Anyway, I want a 4' by 10' concrete slab poured 8 inches thick for this
tank to be strapped down to. The tank looks like a little submarine.

I've posted an ad on Craiglist and got three replies so far: one is for
a turnkey job for $450, one is for $150 but I have to provide all
materials, and the third never said but left a phone number for me to call.

Using an online concrete calculator shows this should take 1 yard of
poured concrete or 45 bags of 85 lb concrete. I have no idea how much
it would cost to get a yard delivered. I've had some limited experience
with those bags and am confident that is not the way to go.

No matter how the concrete is mixed, it will have to be moved from the
driveway to the back yard using wheelbarrows.

Jay

$450 sounds really good if he will make the forms, prep/pack the
ground, lay some rebar, mark the level, bring the concrete,
wheelbarrow it around, level and smooth it, clean up and return the
tools.

I filled some footers recently that took 2 yards of concrete. We
picked up a couple concrete carts at rental works. They hold a yard
and cost about $250. See the Cart-A-way picture here
http://rentalworksofmd.com/. I can't recall how many wheelbarrow runs
it took, but we had 2 or three going non-stop. Don't forget to add
some rebar in there.