Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Revisiting chainsaws

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 19:29:29 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Back in 2005 there was a lonnnngggg thread about chainsaws: the good,
the bad, and the ugly. I don't want to re-do that thread, just update
it a bit. Specifically, has anybody recently _changed_ their opinion of
Stihl or Husqvarna? And since the opinions back then were generally
good, I guess that I mean does anybody feel that Hus* or Stihl has gone
downhill recently?

Although, back then there was some thought that Stihls vibrated too
much. Any knowledge of that being fixed?

Thanks,
Bob

Stihl is still a good saw, but they sell an MS xxx line that's foriegn
built home owner quality. Not as good as the Pro qulity stuff of just
a couple years ago. I know my son scored an 036 rebuilt off eBay for a
great price. Its just like my 036 that he grew up on. The MS 036 loosk
the same at first glance. But then take it down some and you can see
how they cut costs and corners.

I'm lucky, my 009 and 036 should stihl (pun) be in great shape for my
estate auction.

Karl