Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Press fit and heat treatment question

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:22:37 -0800 (PST), andrew
wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wanted to let you know where I am

Firstly: Here is picture of the machine almost identical to the one I
have; http://www.aaronequipment.com/usedeq...pz-ii-43905001
If you look through the pictures, you can see that there are two
plates with pins - one fixed and one rotating. It was the pins on the
rotating plate that I ruined by heating to 600C. The pins go through
the rotating plate

Well, I initially tried Loctite in the gaps and epoxy on the back side
- but the loctite did not cure and I did not have all the pins at
exactly the same height, so it was scraping on the fixed plate and on
the back side when rotating (the gaps are just a few mm's on both
sides of the plate). So I burnt everything off in the oven - again
and used just 2 part epoxy very liberally on the back side - all over
the pins and plate. The back side does not see the chips that are
grinding

So far after about 10-20 runs at~5000rpm, it seems to be holding - all
the pins are still tight. SInce the gaps are so tight, there is no
danger of the pins falling out, so I thought I can take the chance
with this approach for now. I am not really a machinist to be able
to rework the part and I do not know enough metallurgy to know what
kind of heat treatment would work so this seemed to be the only
approach for me

Thanks again

Andy

Greetings Andy,
I'm surprised that the epoxy is holding so well. And that the Loctite
didn't cure. Loctite is an anaerobic curing chemical compound so maybe
there was too much exposure to air for it to cure. I would still try
to press 1/8 diameter pins into the plate after reaming out to .124 if
the epoxy does fail. Apparently though the epoxy has a high enough
compression strength and sticks well enough to take the strain. Good
for you for trying your solution and reporting your success here.
Nothing beats the empirical testing of your ideas, especially advice
from folks like me who aren't holding your part in their hands.
Cheers,
Eric