Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andrew andrew is offline

Default Press fit and heat treatment question

Thanks for all the suggestions. I wanted to let you know where I am

Firstly: Here is picture of the machine almost identical to the one I
have; http://www.aaronequipment.com/usedeq...pz-ii-43905001
If you look through the pictures, you can see that there are two
plates with pins - one fixed and one rotating. It was the pins on the
rotating plate that I ruined by heating to 600C. The pins go through
the rotating plate

Well, I initially tried Loctite in the gaps and epoxy on the back side
- but the loctite did not cure and I did not have all the pins at
exactly the same height, so it was scraping on the fixed plate and on
the back side when rotating (the gaps are just a few mm's on both
sides of the plate). So I burnt everything off in the oven - again
and used just 2 part epoxy very liberally on the back side - all over
the pins and plate. The back side does not see the chips that are
grinding

So far after about 10-20 runs at~5000rpm, it seems to be holding - all
the pins are still tight. SInce the gaps are so tight, there is no
danger of the pins falling out, so I thought I can take the chance
with this approach for now. I am not really a machinist to be able
to rework the part and I do not know enough metallurgy to know what
kind of heat treatment would work so this seemed to be the only
approach for me

Thanks again

Andy