Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What is purpose of wire mesh in Dell laptop charger cord?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:36:11 -0800 (PST), Mycroft668
wrote:

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry I didn't give the model number of
the charger - I didn't know it mattered. Here are all the numbers
Model is Dell LA65NS0-00 and it also says PA-12 family. DP/N is
DF263 other numbers shown are PA-1650-06D3

https://s3.amazonaws.com/UETechPics/HN662-1.JPG
65 watt. 19v.

The braid is broken too close to where it enters the charger for me to
be able to work with unless I open the charger and try to do some
major work from the inside but there are no obvious screws so that
wouldn't be worth it since I don't want to break the plastic case.

It's quite easy to crack the case without damage. Place in a PADDED
bench vice and squeeze along the case crack lengthwise. You should
hear a crack when the glue line breaks.

The true question is whether the charger is still usable. Would I be
able to tell with a multi tester?

Yes, partially. It should output 19v.

Output is 19.5V DC but I measure
much less (I think it was around 3V).

You're measuring to the wrong connections. Look at the connector.
There's a center pin, which is the data pin used by the power
controller in the laptop to argue with the power supply over whether
it's capable of charging the battery, or just powering the laptop. It
is NOT one of the power wires. If you look inside the connector,
you'll see that the inside of the barrel is tin clad. That's the
positive contact. The negative contact is the outside of the barrel.

Would it hurt to just plug into
the laptop and see if it seems to work ok?

Hurt whom? I feel no pain when I do that.

If the charging light goes
on, would this mean it is working?

Yes. That means that the PS and laptop power controller have had
their discussion and agreed that everything is just fine.

i.e., would this break in the braid
be a works 100% or doesn't work at all type of thing?

The break in the braid is the negative PS wire. Nothing is going to
happen until that is fixed.

Thanks again. It's for a friend who doesn't have a spare cent to buy a
replacement unless it is absolutely necessary.

I think you'll find it both better and easier to buy a replacement
charger.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=PA-1650-06D3
$8.

Mike