Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mycroft668 Mycroft668 is offline

Default What is purpose of wire mesh in Dell laptop charger cord?

On Feb 28, 3:07*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:57:36 -0800 (PST), Mycroft668

wrote:
What is the purpose of the wire mesh and is the charger still usable?

Shielding to help the charger pass FCC Part 15 radiation tests. *The
shielding keeps the RF inside the charger. *Since you didn't bother to
supply the model number of the charger, I can only guess the reset.
Some Dell chargers use the shield as the ground wires (negative). *If
it is a coaxial arrangement and there is a foil shield, the braid is
also used to hold the foil in place so that it doesn't tear when the
cable is bent.

If you broke the cable at the connector, you'll need to re-establish
continuity at the "wire mesh", also known as the braid or shield. *If
there's a gap missing, wrap it in copper tape, and solder both ends.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

Thank you for the reply. I'm sorry I didn't give the model number of
the charger - I didn't know it mattered. Here are all the numbers
Model is Dell LA65NS0-00 and it also says PA-12 family. DP/N is
DF263 other numbers shown are PA-1650-06D3

The braid is broken too close to where it enters the charger for me to
be able to work with unless I open the charger and try to do some
major work from the inside but there are no obvious screws so that
wouldn't be worth it since I don't want to break the plastic case.

The true question is whether the charger is still usable. Would I be
able to tell with a multi tester? Output is 19.5V DC but I measure
much less (I think it was around 3V). Would it hurt to just plug into
the laptop and see if it seems to work ok? If the charging light goes
on, would this mean it is working? i.e., would this break in the braid
be a works 100% or doesn't work at all type of thing?

Thanks again. It's for a friend who doesn't have a spare cent to buy a
replacement unless it is absolutely necessary.

Mike