Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default how to prevent fence posts rotting

On 2012-02-26, Rick wrote:

On 26/02/2012 10:19 PM, ss wrote:
I know there are all sorts of preservatives in B&Q etc for painting on
fence posts but isnt there a longer term solution like coating the part
below ground with something to stop water soaking in to the posts, like
a plastic coating. I am basing my enquiry on the basis of thinking most
of the bog standard preservatives are so enviromentally friendly they
probably are not really much good.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

A) Fill base of hole with a load of stones .. compact, fit post then
backfill ... allows water to drain rather collect and be socked up by
end of post

Would this work with posts set in Postcrete, or does that stuff set
fast enough that it wouldn't get a chance to run into the drainage
pocket?

IIRC someone who did a lot of this suggested a 6:1 gravel/cement mix,
the idea presumably being that it was strong enough to secure the post
but could be dug out easily when the post rotted.