Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Residential water well question

On 2/27/2012 9:04 PM, Jantero wrote:
For houses with their own water wells, what kind of evaluations and what
info sources do you go to?

Obviously, if you can't get enough safe water, the house is unlivable -
so it's number one on the list to be checked out.

I can't find any books that focus on this and I'm hoping some people in
here know about this kind of stuff.

The specific are I'm interested in is Colorado.

Thanks

In my case I think it is an artesian well as it is dug through strata to
reach the aquifer. This would be versus a shallow well that depends on
ground level water and can run dry in a bad drought.

When I bought the house many years ago we had a note from the well
digger that the recovery rate was about 15 gal/min and I think minimally
acceptable is 5 gal/min. We've never had a supply problem.

Had water tested by plumber once for free for mineral content as they
were trying to sell a treatment system. I found results acceptable and
did not add a system.

Water, of course, has to be drinkable. Some chemicals may be harmless
but make the water unpalatable and you may need to treat or just use for
sinks and toilets and bring in bottled water.

Besides the water, you might want a plumber to check the system - pump
and pressure tank. I've had both fail and have to be replaced. Not
cheap but in the long run maybe half the cost of buying municipal water.