Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Electrical Question GFCI & Open ground

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message news:2f775e55-52cb-I
traced the original feed wire to another junction box that held a
light fixture above the utility sink. The box had a feed wire coming
in and 2 wires coming out.

When I dropped the light fixture, here's what I found:

The ground from the feed wire was wire nutted to the 3 neutrals. The
ground in the wire that ran to the GFCI's junction box was cut back to
about a 1/2 inch and folded neatly back along the insulation. The
other wire that left the box had no ground wire.

Luckily, there was enough slack in the wire I was working with that I
was able to pull enough into the junction box to expose the ground
wire and connect it to the ground wire of the feed.

The tester now reads correctly at the GFCI.

I won't even fathom a guess as to why they would have wired the ground
with the neutrals and then cut back the other ground. Why not just
connect the grounds as long as they were in the box? Who knows...

Just as most said, a disconnected ground somewhere between the GFCI and
breaker box.

Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.