Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman D.M.Chapman is offline

Default how to prevent fence posts rotting

In article ,
ss wrote:
I know there are all sorts of preservatives in B&Q etc for painting on
fence posts but isnt there a longer term solution like coating the part
below ground with something to stop water soaking in to the posts, like
a plastic coating. I am basing my enquiry on the basis of thinking most
of the bog standard preservatives are so enviromentally friendly they
probably are not really much good.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

If you want to use wooden posts, then get decent pressure treated ones
to start with, and avoid cutting them.

I've used http://www.jacksons-fencing.co.uk/tr...t-process.aspx before
as they are local but I recoomend them. I know of a couple of their fences
that are over 25 years old, have never been retreated and are still fine.

I assume similar companies are all over the place - no connection with
Jacksons other than being a happy customer! :-)

Darren