Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Electrical Question GFCI & Open ground

On 2/26/2012 4:27 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Tony wrote in message

Hi,
I always have Simpson 260 handy working on problem like this. Fluke is for
some other use.

It might not show up in the circuits in a house, but at work on some of the
480 volt 3 phase circuits I could show some of the same things with a
Simpson 260. Start with the voltage on the highest scale and don't worry
about the voltage, just pay attention on how far up the meter goes, then
switch to the lower ranges in order. On many of the 'phantom' voltages, the
pointer on the meter will not move very far up or down.

This can be rather bizarre the first time you see it.

I have an assortment of Fluke and other meters I can use, but mostly grab
the 260 and the old analog Amprobe for current measurments.

I do not have one to check it out, but I understand that some of the newer
digital test meters have a low input resistance to help eliminate the
'phantom' voltage problem.

Fluke has a small gizmo (SV225) that plugs into the meter jacks, then
the meter leads plug into it. It adds a relatively low resistance across
the leads to eliminate phantom voltage.

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Acce....htm?PID=56696

--
bud--