Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default how to prevent fence posts rotting

On 27/02/2012 08:40, neil wrote:

"ss" wrote in message ...

I know there are all sorts of preservatives in B&Q etc for painting
on fence posts but isnt there a longer term solution like coating the
part below ground with something to stop water soaking in to the
posts, like a plastic coating. I am basing my enquiry on the basis of
thinking most of the bog standard preservatives are so enviromentally
friendly they probably are not really much good.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

http://www.postsaver.co.uk/

Something tells me these will be a waste of money, but by then you won't
remember that you used them. I've known people char the bottom of posts
but IME nothing makes much difference. As Dave says the problem lies AT
ground level, not below ground.