Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default More ado with phishing..

Tim wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If you get these damned things there is a place to report them

http://www.antiphishing.org/report_phishing.html

do so.

Life is just *way* too short for me to do this at least 10 times a day. I
feel sorry for pensioners and net newbies who get caught by these
scams but
I very much doubt that end recipient reporting is the way to go about
dealing with these.

I'm sure that if the will (and the money) existed, 99.9% of them could be
intercepted at server level. As it is, Yahoo and Google are very good at
filtering them already so the technology exists. Along with that, no one
should leave school or finish a computing course of any kind without
being
taught about Internet scams.

well I am just making those people who don't know that something can be
done, aware.

The faster these get reported, the faster they are blacklisted.

The trouble with blacklisting is that smarthosts for major ISPs can and
do end up on the certain blacklists after a botnet or Trojan affects
some of their users. The phishing and spam experts already have more
than enough honeypots to catch generic spam quickly.

Simply forwarding a phish to an address in your address book is almost
as quick as deleting it.

It can even be automated for ones that match certain rules.
What I object to is filling in webpages.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown