Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default how to prevent fence posts rotting

The problem with coating a post at the bottom is much the same as the
concrete. Wood does breathe and change size but concrete and plastic coating
does not so water gets in between the coating and the wood and accelerates
rotting in my experience. The old creosote was pretty good but these days
you seem not to be able to get it.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Jim K" wrote in message
On Feb 26, 10:19 pm, ss wrote:
I know there are all sorts of preservatives in B&Q etc for painting on
fence posts but isnt there a longer term solution like coating the part
below ground with something to stop water soaking in to the posts, like
a plastic coating. I am basing my enquiry on the basis of thinking most
of the bog standard preservatives are so enviromentally friendly they
probably are not really much good.

Any thoughts or ideas on this.

bitumen?

Jim K