Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Phantom door bell ringing

On Feb 26, 4:04*pm, "walter" wrote:
I have a hard-wired door chime. In the past year something has been randomly
ringing the door bell, even at night. This happens maybe once a week and is
unnerving when it happens at 4 AM.

The video system shows nobody at the door when this happens. Assuming that
my electronic door chime is the most complex part, and therefore the most
vulnerable part of the system, I replaced the large door chime. No luck, the
phantom still rings the door bell.

The house is about 30 years old. The wires for the bell run inside the walls
and then through the attic. In the the attic, the transformer and the wires
are concealed *under thick bats of fiberglass insulation. I am too old to
crawl around in the attic. The chime has real brass tubes and I don't want
to replace it with a cheap-looking wireless door bell.

Any suggestions for slaying the phantom?

Thanks, Walter
--www.rationality.net

What do you mean "electronic door chime"????. If it is a regular hard-
wired door chime with a transformer and wires going to the chime and
the pushbutton at the door, it is just a regular electric circuit,
there are no electronics involved.