Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Electrical Question GFCI & Open ground

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:31:48 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Feb 26, 4:04*pm, Steve Barker wrote:
On 2/26/2012 1:54 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

What could cause this:

GFCI on a supposedly grounded circuit. Wires appear to be installed
correctly at the GFCI.

3 light tester shows Open Ground.
115V between hot and neutral
54V between hot and ground lug
46V between neutral and ground lug

Thoughts?

first thought is to **** can the digital and use an analog meter. *Then
retest.

--
Steve Barker

...or I could test 3 other grounded circuits in the same house and see
what that same meter reads.

In all three cases the meter reads:

115V between hot and neutral
115V between hot and ground lug
0V between neutral and ground lug

I'm guessing the meter's fine and the problem is with the circuit.

Steve did seem to say the meter was bad, but my first reply to you
doesn't say that. It's just not suitable for this applicatoin,
perhaps. I don't think the other receptacles prove much. Induced
voltages depend on what is nearby to induce them. .