Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default 3 way switches shows 2 hot wires

On 2/26/2012 6:48 PM, RBM wrote:
On 2/26/2012 6:44 PM, RBM wrote:
On 2/26/2012 4:10 PM, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:21:04 -0500, wrote:

On 2/26/2012 8:08 AM, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 06:57:21 -0600, "Mr. Austerity""PrintMo.Money"
wrote:

Mr. Austerity wrote:
Doug wrote:
I measured a 3 way switch and I got two wires on 2 different screws
measuring 120 volts. I thought only one should be hot??? I'm in a
rush so I can't write a lot but if looking at the switch with
screws
were like this

c where c is the black screw

a b

I got voltage at "a" and "c" so I'm confused. I'll google later
if that will help me but does this make any sense? I will try to
explain more later as necessary. I may take the wires off the
switch
and just measure from the wires rather than from the screws on the
switch, if that matters. I want to explain more but gotta run.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm

We are going to get this damn thing working yet,.....
Here's how it works, this ought to help you understand just how
simple
the wiring really is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_TpK...eature=related

Thanks !!!! Don't worry, I won't give up. Just glad I have a
multitester to simplify. I mean if I know which wire is hot, there
are only so many combinations before it has to work. Of course I'm
not trying to discount the idea of learning the theory of a 3 way
switch either. I want to learn the theory and with your help, others
and google, I know I will. Thanks again.

What exactly, are you trying to do?

Trying to wire in a Intermatic ST01 timer on a 3 way circuit. I've
farted around 1/2 the day and still no luck even tho I could have
sworn I followed the instructions. My daughter said to me earlier
that the reason it didn't work is because the installer had a few
loose wires so I gave her the look. Anyway, that's what I'm
checking for now at the main (hot) end because I think the remote
(leg) end is tight. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well, your daughter sounds like a wise woman. FYI, that timer doesn't
wire like a standard 3 way switch. When installing the timer itself, you
only need to know the common wire of the circuit. It gets attached to
the black wire of the timer. The other two wires of the circuit go to
the blue and red wires of the timer. This end of the circuit is done.
Now you need to install the jumper on the other switch. You need to
remove the common wire and one of the other wires from the switch, wire
nut them together along with the small jumper wire. Once the 3 wires are
connected together, you install the other end of the jumper on to the
common terminal of the switch. Note: you will only have two wires
connected to this switch. Now it should work.

If you still have problems, click on this link:

http://www.intermatic.com/en/Product...mers/ST01.aspx

Then click on the instructions for installing the jumper and watch the
video

Whoops, you have to click on the "resources" tab first