Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default 3 way switches shows 2 hot wires

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:21:04 -0500, RBM wrote:

On 2/26/2012 8:08 AM, Doug wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 06:57:21 -0600, "Mr. Austerity""PrintMo.Money"
wrote:

Mr. Austerity wrote:
Doug wrote:
I measured a 3 way switch and I got two wires on 2 different screws
measuring 120 volts. I thought only one should be hot??? I'm in a
rush so I can't write a lot but if looking at the switch with screws
were like this

c where c is the black screw

a b

I got voltage at "a" and "c" so I'm confused. I'll google later
if that will help me but does this make any sense? I will try to
explain more later as necessary. I may take the wires off the switch
and just measure from the wires rather than from the screws on the
switch, if that matters. I want to explain more but gotta run.

http://www.homeimprovementweb.com/in...way-switch.htm

We are going to get this damn thing working yet,.....
Here's how it works, this ought to help you understand just how simple
the wiring really is,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_TpK...eature=related

Thanks !!!! Don't worry, I won't give up. Just glad I have a
multitester to simplify. I mean if I know which wire is hot, there
are only so many combinations before it has to work. Of course I'm
not trying to discount the idea of learning the theory of a 3 way
switch either. I want to learn the theory and with your help, others
and google, I know I will. Thanks again.

What exactly, are you trying to do?

Trying to wire in a Intermatic ST01 timer on a 3 way circuit. I've
farted around 1/2 the day and still no luck even tho I could have
sworn I followed the instructions. My daughter said to me earlier
that the reason it didn't work is because the installer had a few
loose wires so I gave her the look. Anyway, that's what I'm
checking for now at the main (hot) end because I think the remote
(leg) end is tight. Keeping my fingers crossed.