Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Vertical Mill - $300 Craigslist

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
?
? Would they have thr required strength? There are some people on the
? antique radio newsgroup molding replacment grommets ? knobs. Some had
? molded replacment plastic gears by making two impressions and replacing
? the damaged section in one mold.

I really don't know. I suspect that it depends on what plastic
is is capable of using. I have heard recently a mention (no URLs,
sorry) of some using carbon filament as the plastic.

I personally would not have thought that the plastic which
Tektronix used for that gear was strong enough to start with.

I think it was degraded ofver the years from heat and chemicals. I've
had some knobs crumble in my hands, while others that were used less
often were fine

And a later model with the same plugin number replaced the
Veeder-Root readout with a LED numeric readout.

Probably when it was cheaper to build than the mecanical version.

? Hopefully, you won't need another.

Unless someone gives me another failed plugin at a hamfest. :-)

Hamfest tomorrow. Not a very big one these days, but it is
fairly close. :-)

Don't buy too many white elephants, unless you have plenty of gray
paint on hand. ;-)