dave in fairfax

Default Review: Harbor Freight 8-Piece HSS chisle set

Matt wrote:
Bruce, the set I got from Harbor Freight (I walked in the store) was around
$10.00 (maybe on sale?) and had the following:
The spear point looks as you described he

Bruce wrote:
This tool is a little strange to me. I don't see it mentioned
in my books. The point is V shaped, and it's flat on top, and
the two edges are beveled. Most of my scrapers have a steeper
bevel. Still, the metal is 1/4" thick, and I can regrind it easily.
It's 5/8" wide.

Matt wrote:
The handles are 10" and the blades 4-1/2". They are labelled as the
Pittsburgh brand.
The problem with the parting tool is that the shaft of the blade is diamond
shaped. (so if you took a cross section of the blade you would see a
diamond:
This makes sharpening more difficult on the grinder.

The Pittsburgh and Windsor brands are two different levels of
quality, with the Windsor being the better. The $10 set is at its
regular price, the other goes for $29-39 depending on sales.
The diamond parting tool is the better tool for parting off. It
gives less resistance on the sides, sharpening isn't hard , put it
on its thin side and roll it down until the sparks come over the
leading edge, repeat on the other side. Make sure the two edges
meet at the middle of the tool, along the line on its side.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: