Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3 way switches shows 2 hot wires

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 18:31:23 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I measured a 3 way switch and I got two wires on 2 different screws
measuring 120 volts. I thought only one should be hot??? I'm in a
rush so I can't write a lot but if looking at the switch with screws
were like this

c where c is the black screw

a b

I got voltage at "a" and "c" so I'm confused. I'll google later
if that will help me but does this make any sense? I will try to
explain more later as necessary. I may take the wires off the switch
and just measure from the wires rather than from the screws on the
switch, if that matters. I want to explain more but gotta run.

You will ALWAYS have 2 hots on a 3 way switch.
You have power in and power out. There is no "off" on a 3 way switch.
They are just wired that depending which way the switches are set
neither "ON" of each switch is connected to the load. Switching either
switch to the other position means ONE "ON" is connected to the load.