Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Default "Why do you have a right to your money?"

Hawke wrote:

I have no problem with that scenario. I think that is fair. Both worked
and achieved a measure of success. The difference between the two isn't
all that much. I'd say a fair amount due to unequal ability. It's not
that they don't make the same. It's the degree to which they are paid
unequally. This is not out of line. 18 million for the CEO of Macy's
compared to his workers is not fair. See, it's the degree not the fact
pay is not equal.

Ok so EXACTLY where is the dividing line then,
between fair and unfair differentials?

jk

I just said that CEO pay used to be 50 times what the pay for the
average worker was. Now it's 500 times or more. You tell me. What
happened so the CEO got such a raise and nobody else did when
productivity has risen 25 times what it was decades ago? The inequality
of what the people on top are benefiting is unbelievable.

And you were provided with examples, Georges were probably the best.

And what is that dividing line? Some where, between 1:1 and 100:1 you
say crosses the line between fair and unfair. Again I ask just WHERE.

As for what success people have just look up how many people leave an
estate of more than 100K when they die.

Truly irrelevant. Especially if you are not going to adjust that
number for both location and year. In fact not doing that adjustment
truly destroys one of your little arguments.

If you don't inflation adjust those numbers, I think you will find
that a LOT more people leave 100K+ estates than did in say 1950. But
what does that mean, NOTHING, since you can't buy a load of bread for
what you paid for one in 1950.

If you are successful then you
should have a lot of money left when you die.

Arguable. There are lots of ways to transfer wealth that don't do
that.
Very few people leave an
estate worth anything. If they did so well in life how come so many have
so little to show for it?

Good advisors and tax people is what does it for some.
I don't see why you SHOULD leave an estate.
A house is usually about all most people have.

And if they held on to it, rather than trying to float at the top of a
housing bubble, that is likely to exceed your 100K number.

Hawke

jk