Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default bolting and retrofitting

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 21:08:36 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Feb 24, 5:34*pm, "Doug" wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 14:33:02 -0800 (PST), DD_BobK
wrote:

On Feb 24, 4:24*am, "Doug" wrote:
SNIP

The OP's original question was

........From the photos in this link, does this mean my home is
considered
"bolted to the foundation"? * ..........

The answer to this question is "yes".

No, you are taking his question out of context. *He's concerned about
earthquakes.

As I posted previously.... *the aim of *"foundation bolts" were to
keep a house from "sliding" or "walking" off the foundation.

Yes, in a non-earthquake zone.

SNIP

Doug,

I'm not taking his question out of context, I am answering it within
the context that it was asked.

and the answer is Yes

http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/CSSC_2005-01_HOG.pdf
from page 14

The Problem
Houses that are not bolted to the foundation can
move off their foundations during earthquakes.

see pages 2, 14 & 15 (at minimum)
read the entire pamphlet if you desire to become more informed on the
subject.

cheers
Bob

Bob, this is *NOT *a building code. * Use this if you want to talk
relevant to the OP's question(s)....http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/b...2010.02.5.html

Sorry Doug...... you are wrong in this situation, stop digging
The OP's question was NOT about the building code.

He asked 'does this mean my home is considered
"bolted to the foundation" ?' He mentioned the CEA.

The doc I posted the reference to is NOT a building code but it is the
relevant document to the OP's question.
Compare the wording in his question to the wording in the doc.
Re-read the OP. Go the CEA website. Take a look at the insurance
premium calculator.

The answer to the OP's question is "Yes".

Relax, being wrong & admitting it won't kill you.

Thank goodness you are no longer designing wood framed residential
buildings..... not that is rocket science by any means.

btw the common practice when citing a code or reference is to give
section or pages ..... not just give a link.
I gave you the entire document & the relevant pages

If I gave you the relevant pages, you wouldn't understand it nor would
the OP so why bother. I gave him the answer he needs already.

And it's laughable you telling me I'm wrong when I designed per the
California code and it got approved by the local jurisdiction while
you never designed but claim that I'm wrong and you are right. Yeah
I know you have a buddy who is an engineer so that makes you
qualified. Well that aside, I appreciate a good laugh now and then.
Thanks.