Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default bolting and retrofitting

On Feb 24, 10:03*am, Evan wrote:
On Feb 24, 12:08*am, DD_BobK wrote:

On Feb 23, 3:08*pm, Evan wrote:

On Feb 23, 4:28*pm, Craig E wrote:

From the photos in this link, does this mean my home is considered
"bolted to the foundation" ?http://s1163.photobucket.com/albums/q548/cegarbage/

I have had a home for 10 years, built in 1948 in the La Crescenta area
of Los Angeles. It survived the Sylmar quake and Northridge quake
(both @ 20 miles away) without any problems

With the type of coverage CEA offers, I'm re-assessing whether or not
I really want to pay the premium.

Thanks!

Nope...

Those are standard sill plate bolts...

Seismic bolts are much larger in size, aren't simply
straight or curved like typical J-bolts, (they are longer
S-bolts to resist pulling out) and would be installed
with a larger metal plate instead of a normal bolt
washer again to prevent pull out...

Also, simply bolting the sill plate down doesn't
provide all that much in the way of seismic protection,
the wall studs need to be tied into the foundation
as well using tie downs like the other reply said...

~~ Evan

Stop replying to inquires where you have neither relevant experience
nor expertise.

Bob:

His house IS NOT bolted to the foundation if considering
*ANY* kind of seismic building codes is a factor...

The pictures the OP linked to show standard sill plate
attachment to a non-seismically rated structure...

PERIOD...

I know more than enough about construction to answer
that question... *The bolts pictured in the photos provided
by the OP will disengage if the structure is subjected
to locally significant seismic activity...

Since the OP asked his question in relation to the
CEA regulations, which others here have presumed
to be in reference to some sort of insurance premium
issue, the answer to his question is NO... *His home
is built to non-seismic construction standards and
would not withstand local seismic activity...

Referring to past earthquake events and making the
claim that "well the house was here since 1948 and
wasn't destroyed or seriously damaged in any of those
earthquake events" shows a lack of understanding
as to what the seismically enhanced building codes
are seeking to accomplish -- protection of people and
property in the event of local activity...

It is sad that you snapped a judgement against my
understanding of the seismic codes when you seem
to have not even understood the OP's question to
begin with...

~~ Evan

Sorry Evan but you don't know what you're talking
about.................
and you are using terminology without sufficient technical background

I know more than enough about construction to answer
that question... *The bolts pictured in the photos provided
by the OP will disengage if the structure is subjected
to locally significant seismic activity...

Wrong again!

"the bolts pictured in the photos provided by the OP will disengage if
the structure is subjected to locally significant seismic activity"

Those bolts will do the job for which they were intended..... just
fine.
Whether or not the rest of the "load path" is up to the task is
another question.

Ok "knowledgeable one", how significant must this "local seismic
activity" be?

Careful, this is a trick question to expose your lack of knowledge.

btw it is you who misunderstood the OP's original question.....
because I understand the context in which it was asked.

This might give the answer to the trick question but "what the hell",
if you want to learn, check out

http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/CSSC_2005-01_HOG.pdf

Especially pages 2, 14 & 15.
The section on cripple walls is useful as well but the OP never said
whether his home had them.

The whole thing about evaluating the potential for e/q damage in older
homes & agreeing upon a reasonable set of upgrades,
rests on not "what is the absolute best course of action"
but "what gives the most bang for the buck and what will an owner
reasonably do".

Over the years it has been agreed upon that, for older homes, the
following upgrades make the most sense.

Quick, cheap & easy DIY ones
strap water
bolt house to foundation
sheath cripple walls

Not so cheap & easy
retrofit pier & post foundation
URM walls
URM chimneys

notice there is no mention of hold downs........ those are for new
construction or MAJOR retrofit or repair situations.

I know there is very little likelihood that you have this sort of in
depth knowledge or experience.

"seismically enhanced building codes"..... reveals you lack of
knowledge; spoken like a true amateur, a wanna be

May be it's my 20+ years in the CE/SE world being involved in
construction, testing & research that gives me the basis from which I
speak?

Evan, posting your CA contractor's license number (if you have one)
won't change my opinion of your knowledge.
If you have a CE or SE....please DO NOT post the number, as I will be
obligated to report you to BORPELS as practicing without suffice
knowledge to do so.