Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default "Why do you have a right to your money?"

On 2/23/2012 12:22 PM, George Plimpton wrote:
On 2/23/2012 11:27 AM, jk wrote:
wrote:

Unlike you I actually attended college at Chico state and got to know
the faculty there in the political science dept. There were not any
economists. There was a branch that came to being in political science
that uses quantitative analysis in its approach to the subject but most
political scientists don't follow that methodology.

Yeah, a "science" that DOESN'T use any quantitative analysis. Sheesh!

Anyone with a name in poli sci does the quantitative analysis. Before
the economists taught the political scientists how to do it right, there
was no rigor in poli sci at all. It was nothing but subjective opinion.

The idea of "economics imperialism" - that is, economics invading other
social sciences because those other so-called "sciences" couldn't
explain anything coherently - has been around a long time. There's even
a Wikipedia entry on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economi...28economics%29

The economists have always laughed about it. The older practitioners of
those other fields were pretty resentful when it first happened, but the
younger generation of political scientists and even some sociologists
simply accept it as part of the fields they learned; they never knew
anything different.

That is the same program that taught you to "evaluate" evidence isn't
it?

jk

If you knew anything about what is taught in political science classes
instead of just making it up you would know that most people are not
into the quantitative area of it. It's all mathematics. If you think
mathematics explains human behavior better than anything else good for
you. Show me an equation that explains why someone votes the way they do.

What you don't know is that political science is a very wide field. You
can specialize in one part of it and know little or nothing about the
rest. I started out to get paralegal training and my first year was all
legal classes. When I graduated I had the units to qualify for a degree
in political science but it was mainly about the law.

You can go into the quantitative area and know nothing about the legal
area or the more subjective areas. After I had a lot of law classes then
I learned more about the political side of things and I specialized in
American government and specifically in the presidency.

What's weird is that after all the time and effort it took to learn all
I did some yahoo like you knows more about the subject than me. At least
that's what you claim. Me, I just think your a blowhard that doesn't
know what he's talking about and thinks he's way better than he really
is. I've met lots of guys just like you. Mainly they're short.

Hawke