Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default The case against patents.... inneresting take....

Existential Angst wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
. com...

Tom Gardner wrote:

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Case against patents:
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/casagpat.pdf
Lots more of this, as Lancaster is prolific, to say the least.

Whaddaya think? Certainly an original inneresting take, that I can
find
nowhere else on the web.
Most of the search retrievals involved the ethics, constitutionality,
economic-growth-type implications, but not pure CYA effectivenss of the
patenting process.

Here or elsewhere, he does peg a kind of "break-even point" for a
patent,
as $12 mil is sales -- if you expect to sell $12 mil worth of your
product, then mebbe patent it. This was in 1993, tho.
--
EA

Every one of my nine patents has been stolen and produced in China. My
lawyer asked me how much money do I want to throw away.

Consider yourself lucky, someone could push through a nebulous patent
and then once they receive it turn around and sue you claiming that your
long established products infringe their (bogus) patent. I've seen it
personally and the offenders made tens of millions.

How can they do this if your patent (the person being sued) was filed first?
--
EA

It's not a question of your patent vs. their patent. They will just find
some part of one of your popular products to claim infringes their bogus
patent. This would apply more to complex products where they can confuse
the uneducated jurors as to the particular component / feature of the
product. They will go after some big company and play the little guy who
had his patented idea stolen by the big bad company angle to the
clueless jury. All emotion, no substance and facilitated by the now
corrupted patent office granting patents on most any claim without any
review by technical experts, just by career bureaucrats.