Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Champ[_2_] Andy Champ[_2_] is offline

Default More ado with phishing..

On 24/02/2012 11:34, Mark wrote:
And it's easy to work out where the spammer got your address from.

That doesn't always help. Here are two sample responses (I paraphrase)

"Terribly sorry, our server was hacked into and the mailing list was
stolen".

"There's nothing wrong with our systems, it must have been you"

In both cases this was for an address that had been used solely for
communications with the organisation involved. Since I have about 30
email addresses I've given out, and only about 4 for spam... and one of
them is "andy@..." which is the generic one I gave out at a more
trusting time...

Andy