Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Crazy phone call

In message , Hugo Nebula
writes
[Default] On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:56:19 +0000, a certain chimpanzee,
Tim Lamb , randomly hit the keyboard and
wrote:

Poking around the BT website this morning, I came across the
following....

Anonymous call reject. Set up, star 227hash. Cancel, hash227hash.
Check, star hash227 hash.

Apparently the caller gets a *call not accepted message*.

Which is a pain for real callers from behind switchboards like myself.
I can phone using my Council mobile*, but if I was one of our admin
team and needed to contact someone to sort out a small but non-trivial
detail on, say, a Building Regulations application, I would have to
write a letter to said person and wait for a few more days for a
reply. Meanwhile they would be cursing the Council for not processing
their application sooner.

Oh! Seems a bit odd that a respectable District Council Office would
wish to withhold their phone number. Is this choice or simply the system
in use?

The mention of *not free* upthread has already concentrated my mind:-)

*I wouldn't give out my personal mobile number to the public, and
seeing as we are getting paid less for doing more for the third year
running, I certainly ain't gonna do it without getting paid.

I have a mobile no for my local BCO but would not expect to contact him
outside the normal notification hours.

regards

--
Tim Lamb