Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick[_21_] Rick[_21_] is offline

Default First car recommendations?

On 24/02/2012 12:22 PM, Davey wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:07:53 -0000
wrote:

y Triumph Herald was a good choice.

I often wondered about that, but never did. But the chassis/body panel
construction should have made it safe.
My favourite memory is of buying an exhaust system, which came in one
piece, about nine feet long. I had freed the rear seat back (this was
before accommodation for skis was common), and a puzzled old couple
watched from the other side of the road as I inserted the whole exhaust
system into what looked, to them, like the boot of the car.

A bonnet that came up with the wings mad working on the engine a breeze.

Real solid wood dash & door cappings ... rubber bumpers (ideal for 1st car)
Only let me down once when hardy-spice coupling failed, and car simply
squatted down in middel of a road junction ....
Jacked side of car up so it was balancing on 2 wheel and replaced
coupling in about an hr ... cars were much simpler then.

I loved my Herald .... wish I'd kept it but at 18 you are keen to move
on ... if I remember the sequence of first few cars it was..

Triumph Herald 1965
Vauxhall Viva HA 1969
Morris 1300 1972
Volkswagen Beetle 1973
Triumph 1500 1974
Simca 1500 ?
Cortina Mk III 1976
Cortina Mk IV 1978
Cortina Mk V 1982

.... all probably now well scrapped and made into something else