Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Joining motorways

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

These road signs amuse me.

http://g.co/maps/cn7a7

and a few hundred yards later

http://g.co/maps/pynbh

shows you can use the right hand lane to go to the airport.

I can't see any reason for 'amusement'.

The first sign gets the traffic for the Ring Road (N) into Lane 2.

The second then moves the traffic for Ring Road (N) from Lane 2
to a third lane (to split off to the right), leaving the rest to
continue in Lanes 1 and 2.

Presumably, for the A57, you can take either Lane 2 or 3.

Everyone queues up in the left hand lane to take the airport route.

Presumably this is because most of those in Lane 1 choose to ignore
the second sign, even though it clearly indicates that Lane 2 is now
also OK for the airport. The result is an unnecessary tailback in
Lane 1.

But they have followed the first sign that tells them to use the left hand
lane!

They see the first sign before the second one and so keep to the left.
Jumping lanes is not that easy by the time you see you see the second sign.
The roundabout see to that.

I drive past in the right hand lane.

Good man! A little local knowledge can indeed be useful.

However, I fail to see what is really 'wrong' with these signs. The
problem lies with drivers not making the best use of the road. Or
would you prefer that the first sign should also indicate Lane 2 for
the airport? Would this help?

The first sign is IMHO incorrect.

Correcting the sign would hold me up as more drivers would use lane 2 at the
first sign to go S&W on the M60.

I would prefer a lane marked "Adam":-)

--
Adam