Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "14-Year-Old’s Game-Changing Solar Power Design"

On Feb 24, 3:32*am, G. Morgan wrote:
wrote:

Actually the above suggestion would be good if
you were not seeking the battery backup capability.
The built-in inverter panels I've seen are designed
to be tied to the grid. *Not sure if there are ones
with built-in inverters that could be
used with a battery backup system. *Probably
99% of the ones being installed today are grid
tied and don't have batteries.

So most are just using solar to reduce the bill from the power
company? *Screw that, if I go solar I want battery backups.

Yes, either reduce, eliminate or generate a profit.
Also, another thing that isn't obvious. Without those
batteries, the system will NOT power the house even
during the day with the grid down. When it detects
grid down, it shuts off.

While battery backup may sound desirable, there
are serious drawbacks. The fact that it takes a lot
of batteries to get a reasonable amount of power
for a typical home and that they have to be replaced
periodically being the main one. Given that, other
alternatives like a generator become better options.